Gel Stain is available in 4 colors; Greystone, Double Espresso, Black and Patina (which doubles a protective topcoat)
THIS IS PRIMARILY A TOP COAT. IT IS CHOCK FULL OF RESIN, SO NO STRIPPING OR SANDING IS REQUIRED. THE DOUBLE ESPRESSO IS RICH IN PIGMENT AND PROVIDES ALMOST OPAQUE COVERAGE AFTER TWO COATS. ALL OTHER COLORS ARE SHEER WITH JUST A HINT OF COLOR. COLOR CAN DEEPEN WITH SUBSEQUENT COATS BUT MANY MAY BE REQUIRED IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A TRUE COLOR CHANGE OVER STAIN. IT IS BEST DESCRIBED AS A TOP COAT OVER FUSION ON PROJECTS THAT ARE PAINTED WITH DARK COLORS AND EXTRA PROTECTION IS DESIRED.
Gel Stain Quick Facts
- This product is a Brush On and NOT a wipe on or wipe back product.
- Use a natural bristle brush or a roller to apply.
- Dries to the touch in 8 hours and can be re-coated at that time
- Has a thicker gel like consistency – each color varies.
- Long open time and Self Leveling.
- Comes in Quart size only in 4 different colors.
- 1 Coat looks like a stain. Subsequent coats get more opaque.
- Satin Finish.
- Laminate, Lacquered, previously painted or coated surfaces.
- Damaged or Scratched surfaces
- Almost a no prep product- just clean and remove any wax or grease. No sanding or de-glossing required to apply this.
- Extremely durable. Excellent for Flooring and heavy use kitchen table tops etc.
- Works on Bare Wood surfaces for a beautiful satin finish.
CLEAN UP AND CURE TIME
- Gel Stain is Oil Based
- Mineral Spirits for clean up
- Dries to the touch in 8 hours
- Cures in 5 Days
PREPARATION FOR TOP COAT
Clean surface of wax or grease. Sanding is NOT required on your clean and dry surface. Adheres well to old finishes. Two coats may be required if the old finish has been worn down to expose a different substrate or the blemishes are severe. If there is an area where there is an old finish as well as any peeling areas you will need to remove (ensure you take precautions if old surface is a lead based coating) the loose peeling substrate until you have a sound surface.
CLEAN UP AND THINNER
Odorless mineral spirits.
Apply to a clean sound surface free of grease, oil, dirt, shellac or dust. Do not apply to a surface that is wet, or on asphalt, shellac, vinyl or linoleum tile.
approx 120 sq ft -Additional coats will achieve a darker, deep rich color.
GEL STAIN APPLICATION
Stir thoroughly before applying. Do not shake as you will introduce bubbles. Appears as a colored gel until stirred. Dries to a satin sheen in the color of your choosing. (One coat is translucent – subsequent coats can build to a solid color. Test your methods in an inconspicuous area.) Using a brush (or very short nap roller – NOT a foam roller-avoid air bubbles). Dry time is 4 hours at 25°C and 50% relative humidity. Apply a thin coat in a dust free area. Wait 4 hours before recoating if needed. (if subsequent coats are desired or surface feels bumpy give a light sanding and remove dust before recoating. If applying to brand new raw wood, the first coating should be thinned by 20% by using 1 part mineral spirits and 4 parts gel stain. When dry area can be lightly used in 24 hours. Takes approx. 5 days to cure.
Read more about Fusion’s Gel Stain here.